Before signing a contract, always:
– Make sure you are dealing with a licensed service provider (ask to see proof of their license)
– Review the service provider’s price list to make choices you can afford,
– Review the cemetery or crematorium’s by-laws,
– Make sure the contract sets out the things you have agreed to buy or rent, such as:
- Services, facilities and vehicles,
- A casket, urn, vault, grave, crypt or niche and monument,
- Any other payments (for newspaper notices, police escorts, honorariums for religious officials, etc.)
– Make sure the contract includes the taxes to be paid,
– Ask if the service provider is receiving any commission or benefit from other parties they’ve recommended to you.
For your contract to be valid, both you and the service provider must sign it. Make sure you get a copy of the contract after it is signed.
Free copies of the Consumer Information Guide to Funerals, Burials and Cremation Services are available at funeral establishments, transfer services, cemeteries and crematoriums in Ontario.