The BAO’s Complaint Handling Process
Note: As we complete work on our information technology system, we may exceed our normal response times. Thank you for your patience.
The ability to purchase bereavement services and supplies in a marketplace that is safe, secure and professional, is a priority for the Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO). Circumstances may occur, however, where a consumer believes that a licensed professional has not met certain legal and/or ethical obligations under the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 (FBCSA), and they would like to submit a complaint.
The BAO offers consumers a free complaint handling process where the need arises. Consumers are urged to first try to resolve the issue directly with the licensee/manager of the funeral establishment, transfer service, cemetery, crematorium and/or alternative disposition provider before filing a complaint with the BAO. If you still have concerns, we will try to facilitate a resolution whenever possible and appropriate.
The BAO handles complaints pursuant to the FBCSA, following the process described below:
- A complaint can be received via phone, email, regular mail, or our online complaint form (below). If received by phone, the complainant will be requested to file their complaint in writing via our online complaint form, email, or regular mail.
- The complaint is acknowledged via email or letter, and additional information and/or documentation may be requested from the complainant.
- The BAO forwards a copy of the complaint via email to manager of the funeral establishment, cemetery, crematorium, transfer service and/or alternative disposition operator (as applicable) and any other licensees named in the complaint and they are requested to provide a written response along with all pertinent documentation within 5 business days of receipt of the email from the BAO.
- Other witnesses may be contacted for additional information, if necessary.
- During the complaint review process, the complainant and licensee will only be contacted if clarification or additional information is required.
- All complaint documentation is thoroughly reviewed by the Compliance Officer and BAO Management.
- A final written response is provided to both the licensee and the complainant within 30 business days of receipt of the written complaint, unless otherwise notified. As we complete work on our information technology system, our response times on complaints may exceed our 30-day target. Thank you for your patience.
Pursuant to section 66 of the FBCSA, in handling complaints, the Registrar may do any of the following, as appropriate:
- Attempt to mediate or resolve the complaint
- Give the licensee a written warning
- Require the licensee to attend a specified educational program
- Refer the matter to the discipline committee
Please note: The Registrar cannot award damages or compel licensees to give refunds or discounts where services and/or merchandise have been provided. Consumers may always exercise the option of consulting with independent legal counsel.
Complaints against The BAO
Complaints against the BAO can be made through this email PrivacyOfficer@TheBAO.ca. The complaint will be
sent to the relevant manager. If it is not resolved at that stage, it will then escalate to the CEO & Registrar.
Online Complaint Form
To file a complaint, please complete the form below.
Please be accurate and thorough, as this will assist us in handling your complaint as quickly and effectively as possible. Please attach any documentation that will help support your claim such as front and back of contracts, photos, and/or email communications etc.
All fields marked with an asterisk* are required to be completed.