Do you have a complaint?
The Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO) handles complaints pursuant to the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002(FBCSA). While the BAO attempts to resolve disputes wherever possible, the parties are encouraged to discuss their concerns before proceeding through the BAO’s complaint process (resolved within 60 business days unless otherwise notified):
- complaint received via phone, email, regular mail or online complaint form
- complaint acknowledged and additional information/documentation requested from the complainant
- applicable licensee contacted regarding complaint and clarification, documentation and response requested
- complaint documentation thoroughly reviewed by BAO Management and Complaint Unit
- licensee and complainant kept apprised of process throughout the investigation
- final written response provided to both the licensee and the complainant
Pursuant to section 66 of the FBCSA, in handling complaints, the Registrar may do any of the following, as appropriate:
- Attempt to mediate or resolve the complaint
- Give the licensee a written warning
- Require the licensee to attend a specified educational program
- Refer the matter to the discipline committee
Please note: the Registrar cannot award damages or require refunds or discounts where services and/or merchandise have been provided.
Consumer protection in a marketplace that is safe, secure and professional, is a priority for the Bereavement Authority of Ontario. As a regulator, the organization depends on the information and feedback provided by consumers and stakeholders to enhance service standards and identify learning opportunities for the sector.
In Ontario, all licensed bereavement service providers are required to comply with the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002, and Ontario Regulation 30/11.
Online Complaint Form
If you’d like to file a complaint, please complete the form below.
This form is composed of three parts:
- Personal Contact Details
- Service Provider/Business Details
- Describe Your Concern
Please be accurate and thorough in order to assist us in handling this matter as quickly and effectively as possible.
Personal information gathered in this form is collected under the authority of the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002. The Bereavement Authority of Ontario requires contact information so that a response can be provided to the complaint. Details will also be retained for statistical purposes.