The BAO is responsible for the licensing and enforcement of cemetery, crematorium, funeral establishments, funeral directors, funeral pre-planners, transfer service operators and transfer service sales representatives.
MGCS is responsible for legislation and regulations, and for providing oversight of the BAO. MGCS has also retained responsibility for burial sites, war graves, cemetery closures and abandonments.
MGCS monitors the performance of the BAO to ensure that marketplace standards are maintained through reporting and accountability mechanisms such as business plans, annual reports and third-party audits.
The Administrative Agreement between the Minister of MGCS and the BAO sets out the matters of the Act that the Ontario Government has delegated to the BAO. The agreement clarifies the roles, duties and responsibilities of the Minister and the BAO and sets out the administrative, financial, auditing, accountability, legislative and regulatory development, and the working relationship between the two parties.
Access the Administrative Agreement here.
Administrative authorities are responsible for ensuring that a number of Ontario’s consumer protection and public safety laws are applied and enforced.
The government oversees administrative authorities and is responsible for the legislation and regulations that are applied and enforced by administrative authorities.
Currently, MGCS oversees 11 administrative authorities:
- - Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO)
- - Ontario Film Authority (OFA)
- - Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC)
- - Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO)
- - Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO)
- - Tarion Warranty Corporation
- - Vintners Quality Alliance of Ontario (VQAO)
- - Ontario One Call (ON1Call)
- - Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA)
- - Electrical Safety Authority (ESA)
- - Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO)