The Compensation Fund Committee became active on April 1, 2016, and is the “Committee” under Part IV of the General Regulations made pursuant to the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 (FBCSA).
The role of the Committee is responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with the FBCSA and its Regulations respecting the Fund;
- Determining eligibility of claims for compensation from the Fund;
- Exercising discretion in determining which documents which documents must be received from claimants and participants, regarding their respective eligible claims and prospective obligations to the Fund;
- Notifying participants of their failure to meet obligations or liabilities to the Fund;
- Appointing and communicating with the Trustee;
- Identifying long term investment goals for the Fund;
- Ensuring that the Trustee reports regularly to the Committee and the Board of Directors; and
- Managing and reporting the affairs of the Fund to the Minister and the Board of Directors.
The Committee shall consist of a minimum of five members, comprised of:
- Three members of the Board of Directors, two of whom are not licensed class 1 or 2 Funeral Establishment Operator(s), Transfer Service Operator(s), Funeral Director(s), a Funeral Sales Representative or a Funeral Preplanner; and
- A minimum of two members who are representatives of the consumer interest but who are not:
- members or past members of the Board of Directors;
- licensees or past licensees under the FBCSA;
- Shareholders, officers, directors, partners or employees of a licensed or previously licensed operator.