BAO Facts & Statistics
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO) is a not-for-profit corporation, responsible for administering provisions of the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 and associated regulations on behalf of the Ontario government. The BAO oversees the entire bereavement sector in Ontario, including funeral establishments, funeral directors, funeral preplanners, transfer service operators, transfer service sales representatives, cemetery and crematorium operators and sales representatives.
The BAO protects public interest through a fair, safe and informed marketplace.
The BAO does this by:
– Enforcing standards to obtain and maintain registration for funeral directors, funeral preplanners, transfer service operators and sales representatives.
– Establishing the educational requirements to become a funeral director, funeral preplanners, transfer service operator or sales representative.
– Conducting inspections of funeral, cemetery, transfer service and crematorium establishments.
The Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 (FBCSA) is the legislation that bereavement professionals must follow in Ontario. The law includes rules and regulations that bereavement professionals must follow when helping consumers plan a funeral, burial, transfer service or cremation.
Delegated Administrative Authorities (DAAs) are responsible for ensuring that a number of Ontario’s consumer protection and public safety laws are applied and enforced. The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services currently oversees 12 administrative authorities.
- Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO)
- Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO)
- Condominium Management Regulatory Authority of Ontario (CMRAO)
- Electrical Safety Authority (ESA)
- Ontario Film Authority (OFA)
- Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC)
- Ontario One Call (ON1Call)
- Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO)
- Tarion Warranty Corporation (TARION)
- Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA)
- Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO)
- Vintners Quality Alliance Ontario (VQA)
What does the BAO not do?
For additional information, or to arrange an interview with a BAO spokesperson, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (647) 483-2645. Please specify your deadline along with the specific area(s) of interest.
Please Note: Only messages from members of the media will be responded to through this email. All other inquiries can be directed to email@example.com or 1-844-493-6356.
Bereavement Authority of Ontario
100 Sheppard Avenue East, Suite 505
Toronto, Ontario M2N 6N5