Any person who provides the service of transporting dead human bodies in the Province of Ontario must be licensed under the Funeral, Burial and Cremation Services Act, 2002 (FBCSA) as a Transfer Service Operator.
The Bereavement Authority of Ontario (BAO) is aware that some non-licensed individuals are providing this service and have been doing so for many years. The BAO requires that those who wish to continue to offer the service of transporting dead human bodies apply for and be licensed under the FBCSA.
In recognition that some body removal services have significant experience notwithstanding being unlicensed, the following accommodation has been made to the licensing requirements for these services:
- Apply before December 31, 2017, for a Transfer Service Operator- Class 2 (Minimum Class) licence,
- Attach a Police Records Check from the jurisdiction of their residence,
- Demonstrate significant experience providing removal services, by providing a resume and letters of reference,
- Pass written test on Jurisprudence offered by the BAO,
- Successfully complete the “Safe Handling of Human Remains” course offered online by Humber College, Toronto, by December 31, 2018.
These licensing application requirements are intended for established, experienced removal services only, and are in effect only until December 31, 2017. In all other cases, the regular requirements for Transfer Service Operators apply.
Please contact the licensing unit of the BAO at (647) 483-2645 for further information.
Please click here for Printable version.